08 December 2010

Tenuous Link to Our Past: World War II

Have you ever read some interesting tidbit of history and thought, "I sure wish I could have met those people. The questions I would ask!"

While the distant past is only accessible from the archaeological record and documents, more recent history is readily accessible, and usually takes the form of "old people." Old people are a wealth of semi-useful information, and since most people ignore them, they are very happy to share their stories with you if you even hint at a passing interest.

Having one of the last remaining World War II bomber pilots as my grandpa, I consider myself a lucky person. His eyesight is fading and his hearing is about gone, but upstairs he's 100%. He seldom talks about the War with me, and I'm sure it's because I'm female. (When I mention this to other war vets, they all nod their heads knowingly. Still not sure what that's about.) Still, the man's not getting any younger, so when I visited for Thanksgiving, I waited until my grandma left the room to take a call before I pounced.

To get around Grandpa's hearing issue, we use a little white board. I wrote on the board, Who are those people with you in the photograph on your desk? Where are you guys?

I pick up the black and white picture and bring it to him. It depicts 5 young men in Army Air Corps uniforms in a bar.
"That's my crew. We were in Italy. That's where we were stationed, so we could fly bombing missions over Europe."

464th Bomb group flying in formation.


How many missions did you fly?

He laughs. "49."

I write Why is that funny?

"It was during the 46th mission that the plane went down. After we were recovered, I asked to be put back on the flight list so that I could complete 50 missions. I flew three more, but then we were sent home."

You crashed a plane, then wanted to fly again?


"I liked flying."

464th Bomb group flying side by side.


What made you want to be a pilot?

"Well, I was bedridden for over a year when I was little..."

Polio, right?

"They said a cancer of the bone, but maybe polio. When I saw pictures of airplanes, I knew I wanted to do that! When the war first started, I didn't have enough education to be a pilot. [He had been at the University of Illinois when the war started, and didn't finish.] But then I ran into a friend of mine who was flying P-38s. He told me that they needed pilots badly, so I spoke with his commanding officer, and got to go to cadet school."

I know you crashed a plane - where did you go down?

"We were taking a lot of enemy fire, and one of the crew was killed. I ditched the bomber in a pond* in Yugoslavia, near Dubrovnik [official records say either "the Adriatic," "a flooded field," or "a lake."] You know, we've been back there several times. It's a walled city, and it's just beautiful."

Did you see the crash site again?

"No, I never saw it again."

464th Bomb group.


How did you get out of the plane?


"That was the tricky part. We went in to the pond, and the plane was filling up. But then something happened to make it roll over so that I could get out. Some members of the local resistance helped to get the other crew member out." [details on the rest of the crew have been sketchy, but one seems to have been cut down by enemy fire before the crash]

Did you have to swim out?

"Yes, and it was cold. Not a good experience."

What time of year was this?


"November."

Yeah, I guess that would be cold.


"But the resistance said they couldn't help us until nightfall. It wouldn't be safe to move us until then."

So you had to sit under a tree somewhere and shiver for hours?

"Yes, well as I said, it wasn't much fun."
(Honestly, I can't imagine much worse than having your plane shot down, your friends killed in front of you, you almost drown trying to escape the sinking fuselage in icy water, and you have to sit, soaked, for hours in a foreign country waiting to be captured or shot, watching your other friend's life slowly leak out).

And the other guy?
I ask.

"He was in a bad way." Grandpa frowns at this point. "There were bones sticking out..." He doesn't say anything for a second. "He didn't last." [This, by the way, is the reason my grandpa installed seat belts in all his cars upon his return from the War.]


Trying to figure out if this was the plane that crashed... still researching this one.


He perks up. "But the neat part was that the resistance put us in a German ambulance. They covered us in blankets and told us they were going to drive through the enemy German lines, then our own lines. We were told not to speak. The driver had a German uniform."

That is pretty cool. So you got through the German lines okay.

"We did, and past the walls of Dubrovnik."

The crash is why you got the medal.

Obviously not wanting to discuss that in depth, he says, "Did you see my new medal case? Your father and uncle helped with that. I'll show you."


Bombs drop from a plane in same squadron as Grandpa.


We walk to the hallway where his medals are displayed in a shadow box. His Silver Star is near the top. The ribbons are still vibrant. I pointed at the Silver Star and Purple Heart.
"I know what these are for, but why did you get these?" I point at others.

He studies them. "For doing a good job I guess."

By this point my grandmother is off the phone, and now Grandpa only wants to discuss how lovely Croatia is this time of year.

So naturally I have to research the rest.

I knew he was a bomber pilot. He was a member of the 464th bomb group, 777th Squadron.

Grandpa is 3rd from the left. Bomber Reunion 2002.


I found out that he received the Silver Star in 1945:



And his "doing a good job" medal?


The Air Medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with the Armed Forces of the United States, shall have distinguished himself/herself by meritorious achievement while participating in aerial flight.


I'd like to find out more about that crash, but it appears that I will have to consult military documents and books from here on out. It is mentioned in at least one book. I've learned that just because the Past is conveniently sitting in the same room, doesn't mean he wants to talk.
Or maybe he still takes the "loose lips sink ships" slogan seriously.


*1945 Newspaper article briefly discussing crash.

4 comments:

  1. Love it. Dad's dad has the record for youngest staff sargeant in US army history. Forged docs to enter at nearly seventeen. Signal corps, infantry. One of the 37k that survived the battle of N. Africa to go on into Italy in Husky. Late...r liberated camps. Royally screwed him up. Met gma at USO dance in FL. Stayed true for six years. Mom's dad was too young for WWI but too old for WWII. He worked for the USGS making the maps that would have been used for an Aleutian invasion (and were used for the Aleutian islands battles) had MacArthur's island hopping not been adopted for the invasion instead. Without our forebears (Amerindian, and colonial) and more recent ones, the world would look very different. They made history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many men of that era were raised not to talk about thing like that. You buried it. Stoicism was the order of the day.

    So was modesty. In contrast to our "Look what I did!" culture, that generation was also raised to be modest.

    Like you, I have encountered many elderly who have fascinating stories to tell. Good for you for listening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He asked him to tell them how and where
    he got his wound. This pleased Rostov and he began talking about it, and
    as he went on became more and more animated. He told them of his Schon
    Grabern affair, just as those who have taken part in a battle generally
    do describe it, that is, as they would like it to have been, as they
    have heard it described by others, and as sounds well, but not at all as
    it really was. Rostov was a truthful young man and would on no
    account have told a deliberate lie. He began his story meaning to tell
    everything just as it happened, but imperceptibly, involuntarily, and
    inevitably he lapsed into falsehood. If he had told the truth to his
    hearers--who like himself had often heard stories of attacks and had
    formed a definite idea of what an attack was and were expecting to hear
    just such a story--they would either not have believed him or, still
    worse, would have thought that Rostov was himself to blame since what
    generally happens to the narrators of cavalry attacks had not happened
    to him. He could not tell them simply that everyone went at a trot and
    that he fell off his horse and sprained his arm and then ran as hard as
    he could from a Frenchman into the wood. Besides, to tell everything as
    it really happened, it would have been necessary to make an effort of
    will to tell only what happened. It is very difficult to tell the truth,
    and young people are rarely capable of it. His hearers expected a story
    of how beside himself and all aflame with excitement, he had flown like
    a storm at the square, cut his way in, slashed right and left, how his
    saber had tasted flesh and he had fallen exhausted, and so on. And so he
    told them all that.

    ReplyDelete